John Grant was born in Edinburgh in 1931.
Grant came to Hibernian from Merchiston Thistle in 1949, but such was the talent in the Easter Road side at the time that it was not until the 1954/55 season that he made his first team debut. He had to be versatile to keep his place in the team, playing at inside forward and half back before eventually settling to a role as right back, the position he occupied for his two caps in the autumn of 1958. He also played six times for the Scottish League. He remained a stalwart for Hibs until the summer of 1964 when he was freed by Jock Stein as he rebuilt the team. He spent a season at Raith Rovers before retiring in 1965.